Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Day Wisdom

Christmas was delightful. I learned a valuable lesson today.....my kids are almost grown and it's time to start letting go. I remember when they use to run to the Christmas tree to open presents, now they stay in bed until almost eleven and drag to the tree.

As I'd always hope that the true meaning of Christmas would be forever etched in their minds, I never thought that the valuable time we shared together on this day would be deminished. Then I thought, there was a time when I raced to my parent's house, now I'm just as happy sitting at home with my own family. Then, it struck me, one day they'll too have families of their own and coming to mom's might not be as important to them either.

So I prayed, God, thank you for the birth of your Son Jesus. I even thank you that He gave the example that those who loved You were His family. So, with this, I thank you for extended families because truly those who are in fellowship with you are my brothers, and sisters, and mothers, and fathers through you. Then I prayed, teach me how to let go of those near me. They are my children and I've done as you required....I brought them into this world, I taught them the importance of obedience, I taught them who You are and that they should love You with all of their hearts, I taught them to respect others, I taught them to love everybody, and most importantly, I gave them back to You.

So when they stop coming home, when the tree stop covering gifts, when the tree no longer goes up....I know that I am the tree. I was outside, and You saved me and brought me in. I was dark and Your light brighten me up. I am fully decorated, now in good deeds, but the glory belongs to You. I've beared my fruit, and it's time for them to branch out, and me to bear in other places. I cover no gifts, because I'm sharing my gift with the world.

"Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except ye abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit; for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:2-5

No comments: