Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's A New Day

As I sat and watched our 44th President being sworn into office, my soul was over-joyed. I couldn't help but think about my grandmother, the late LB Ford and how she managed to make it in Shreveport, Louisiana during the turbulant times of segregation. I can remember the stories of how she would go down town Shreveport to WoolWorth and had to enter in the back. I couldn't help but think about how she felt when the late great Dr. Martin Luther King came to Shreveport.

All the struggles for such a time as this. But in as much as I am grateful, I still feel uneased when I go into a restaurant and our caucasion counterparts will look you in the face but never speak. I still felt the agony of the past when my child was stopped in Shreveport by one of our caucasion police (for nothing). So to me although today marked a landmark event, I still know that there is so much more needed in Louisiana.

Then I think about my kids who grew up military and was taught to love everybody regardless of the color of their skin. And I silently pray that my son won't date any of those white girls at the private school he attends in Shreveport. Not because I don't want a white daugther in law, but because I don't want my child thrown in jail for rape or labeled because of his preference. So, how do you explain this to a child...that he has to be careful who he dates because of where he lives and the color of his skin? I guess, you just teach him history and pray that he doesn't silently hate others because of what his ancestors went through.

In a world of change, I wonder why old morals or habits refuse to fade away. I wonder why some still find it hard to love others because of their skin color. Could it be that God has allowed more interacial dating so we can get the picture of how He feels about us? We all are a part of eachother. It's evident in our history and the pages of mine read candidly about a grandma named Dina who never knew a black man but bore children from her masters. So as you see, nothing is new under the sun; but the Son simply is trying to get us to see that we all are His children.

As I watched all the people in Washington, I thought about a place that will resemble much of what we saw today. Everyone existing together, on the same accord, and with feelings of true admiration towards a man, but it won't be President Obama we will be waiting to hear, but we'll be waiting to hear the voice of a man name JESUS. All together regardless of our skin color or gender but solely upon the merits of our belief while we were on Earth.

So as our country embarks upon something new, we should try to embrace something old but still able to mend people together.....LOVE. Try loving outside of your circle, outside of your family, and outside of your churches. Try loving inspite of what is done for you, or how you feel. Just love because love covers a multitude of faults and loves meets the needs of others through service.
Be Blessed

No comments: